As Americans, we have to pay taxes every year on the amount of money that we earn. If you don’t, you could land yourself in some serious legal consequences. Even if you do pay, you might find yourself up against Uncle Sam because of a mistake that was made. If you are being audited by the IRS, here are some of your taxpayer rights.
- You can say “NO” to the tax auditor. You can challenge the decision made by the tax auditor. In fact, if you do, it is likely that you will win your case. It happens more than sixty percent of the time.
- You have a right to eliminate the penalties that you are facing. The truth is that the IRS has over one hundred and fifty penalties that they can push your way, so there is a good chance you will be facing at least one of them. If you are, due to a simple mistake (and not trying to deceive the IRS), you may be able to get out of the penalties that you received.
- You don’t have to see the IRS in person. You can ask for a correspondence audit, which is done through the mail. If you do that, you won’t have to miss work (or worry about saying the wrong thing).
- You have the right to a payment plan. Though the IRS wants their money (and they want it now), the truth is that you can get a payment plan, depending on how much you can afford to pay them. This may cost you an extra forty-three dollars, but it is worth it when you can pay them back over time, instead of all at once.
- You can also challenge the IRS. Since most people are scared of the IRS, they just reach for their checkbook, in order to avoid confrontation. However, these extra mailings that you may be getting could be a mistake on their part. So, you should always double-check and question the IRS before you decide to pay them.
Getting a letter from the IRS can be terrifying. You may be afraid of an audit and all of the penalties that you are facing. However, if you get a lawyer, you can learn about your rights. You don’t have to be alone in this! If you are getting harassed by the IRS, don’t hesitate to contact us today. We will be glad to help you get through this difficult time.